Flight Test Engineer
California City, CA
Supernal is at the forefront of creating emerging mobility solutions that will foster the development of human-centered cities. We are designing a completely new electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft tailored to the mobility needs of future cities. This allows passengers a seamless intermodal journey that safely transports them to their final destination. We fuse research in autonomy, robotics, aviation and services to define a new category of mobility for the world’s communities. We believe in creative thinking and collaboration to help build a better mobility experience for everyone, improving people’s ability to move – whether for work or play.
What we do:
The Flight Test Engineer works closely with core engineering and operations teams on planning and execution of flight test campaigns. This role is a critical contributor in enabling safe, efficient experimental flight testing. The role is responsible for developing test plans, writing test cards, and participating in flight readiness reviews, test readiness reviews, and risk assessments. The Flight Test Engineer will work closely with aircraft maintenance to ensure that the flight vehicle is in proper configuration for testing, coordinates ground & flight tests, performs data analysis, writes test reports, documents test results, and troubleshoots issues. An understanding and working knowledge of flight test instrumentation and data acquisition and have strong configuration management skills.
This position will be required to work on-site 5 days a week.
What you can do:
- Acquiring comprehensive knowledge of air vehicle’s systems
- Assisting in the development and execution of flight test campaigns and associated processes
- Generating system-level flight test procedures and deriving and tracking flight requirements
- Collaborating with engineers, flight test pilots, and operations team to develop flight test plans and write flight test cards
- Planning, organizing, and executing flight test operations
- Ensuring the test vehicle is properly configured to meet test objectives
- Supports the Test Director with daily test conduct
- Support the Test Director in daily flight test coordination and communication
- Analyzing data, documenting results, and troubleshooting obstacles
- Supports the coordination of multiple teams to achieve flight test objectives and risk hazard assessments
- May require up to 25% of domestic and international travel
- Other duties as assigned
What you can contribute:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in experimental flight testing (an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered)
- Experience authoring flight test plans and reports
- Experience managing deficiencies, limitations, and restrictions in a flight test environment
You may also be able to contribute:
- Master’s degree preferred
- Experience testing complex flight control, power management and avionics systems preferred
- Experience in data analysis with MATLAB, IADS, other tools preferred
- Experience operating/testing of remotely piloted aircraft preferred
Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background check. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other category or class protected under applicable federal, state or local law. Individuals with disabilities may request a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at: email@example.com
This position may include access to certain technology and/or software source code subject to U.S. export controls laws and regulations. If an export authorization from an applicable US regulatory agency is required in connection with your employment, your employment is contingent upon Supernal’s receipt of such regulatory authorization(s) and your continued compliance with all conditions and limitations pursuant to such authorization(s).