Sr. Battery Cell R&D ScientistApply Now Job ID 5000440003 Date posted 05/09/2022
Supernal is at the forefront of creating emerging mobility solutions that will foster the development of human-centered cities. We are designing a completely new electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft tailored to the mobility needs of future cities. This allows passengers a seamless intermodal journey that safely transports them to their final destination. We fuse research in autonomy, robotics, aviation and services to define a new category of mobility for the world’s communities. We believe in creative thinking and collaboration to help build a better mobility experience for everyone, improving people’s ability to move – whether for work or play.
What we do:
Sr. Battery Cell R&D Scientist is responsible for bringing next generation battery cell technologies closer to applications. This role will be responsible for investigating the fundamental root causes of degradation mechanisms and developing models to predict failure modes. This role has potential to develop a suitable advanced battery technology for eVTOL application. The Sr. Scientist works closely with other scientists/engineers from multi-functional teams within R&D, system development, and management system to advance next generation battery cell technology from theory to applications.
What you can do:
- Review, analyze and report the development trends of next generation battery technologies Participate in crafting long-term plan for cell chemistry advancement for eVTOL application
- Drive internal and external R&D entities to advance battery cell chemistry, materials, cell structure and manufacturing processes
- Perform cell designs and builds and provide gap analysis for next development
- Conduct design experiments for root cause analysis and conduct failure analysis of cells from in-house testing programs, battery suppliers, as well as field returns
- Support manufacturing line assessment at cell supplier’s site
- May require up to 20% of domestic and international travels
- Other duties as assigned
What you can contribute:
- B.S. or M.S. in chemistry, materials science, chemical engineering, or related fields
- A minimum of 5-8 years proven experience in applied next generation cell chemistry R&D (an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered)
- Experience developing cell materials from lab scale to mass production scale is preferred
- Deep understanding of secondary and primary battery chemistry, materials, cell design and cell assembly/manufacturing processes
- Experience in battery material development, cell design, and cell manufacturing processes with a proven track record of technical excellence in launching new cell chemistries optimized for energy, power and thermal safety aspects
- Experience in DOE to identify cell degradation and failure and root cause analysis of battery cell
- Experience working with suppliers
- Industrial experience in battery cell manufacture and end-of-line quality control
- Experience in developing and/or applying deep learning methods in battery R&D
- Excellent data analysis and statistical model development skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proactive delivery of communication and follow up
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Must have the ability to independently prioritize and accomplish work within time constraints
- Self-motivated and forward-thinking personality
You may also be able to contribute:
- Experience with using Python in data analysis is
Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background check. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Individuals with disabilities may request to be provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at: firstname.lastname@example.org
This position may include access to certain technology and/or software source code, that will be subject to U.S. export control laws. If an export license or other export control authorization is required in connection with your employment, your employment is contingent upon Supernal’s receipt of such license or authorization and approvals and your continued compliance with all conditions and limitations contained in such license or authorization.