Head of UX
Supernal is at the forefront of creating emerging mobility solutions that will foster the development of human-centered cities. We are designing a completely new electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft tailored to the mobility needs of future cities. This allows passengers a seamless intermodal journey that safely transports them to their final destination. We fuse research in autonomy, robotics, aviation and services to define a new category of mobility for the world’s communities. We believe in creative thinking and collaboration to help build a better mobility experience for everyone, improving people’s ability to move – whether for work or play.
What we do:
The Head of UX is a critical senior leadership role responsible for collaborating across the business and with key affiliates to envision and develop an optimal user experience for Supernal products and experiences. The role regularly collaborates with Engineering, Research & Development, Commercialization, Hyundai Design Centers, other members of the Digital Operations team, third party partners, and the business at large while leading a small, but mighty team of UX researchers and UX / UI designers.
What you can do:
- Develop, communicate, and align business around UX strategy, vision, and implementation for our Advanced Air Mobility (AAM) products and experiences (e.g., vehicle experience, software experience, end to end multimodal mobility experience) in close partnership with other key collaborators to ensure alignment with business goals
- Act as a leader with vision, hands on innovator, and user advocate to discover, invent, and implement new strategies and solutions to optimize user experiences that yield competitive advantage
- Develop and manage department budget, people, OKRs, and way we work ensuring objectives are met with available resources
- Build, scale, and lead an innovative UX department from the ground up
- Hire, nurture, and lead a diverse, distributed team of top UX experts across industries and backgrounds to revolutionize mobility
- Establish and maintain meaningful relationships across senior leadership and cross-functional collaborators globally across Supernal, Hyundai Motor Group, and third-party partners
- Navigate ambiguity and stay flexible in the exciting and constantly evolving environment of our innovative new organization as it grows, and its needs / priorities evolve
- Develop strategic UX partnerships to drive impact and positive UX outcomes
- Lead by example, inspiring an aligned culture, values, and brand
- Travel 25-50% domestically and internationally as needed
- Other duties as assigned
What you can contribute:
- BS/BA in Human Computer Interaction, Ethnography, Design, Engineering, Anthropology, or a related field
- 10+ years of relevant experience as a senior leader in a product industry, spearheading user experiences and with experience in information architecture, user experience design, interaction design, or a similar role, ideally in the mobility space (an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered)
- A UX guru and creative innovator with ability, excitement, and experience to envision and invent groundbreaking global user experiences to address real world user needs in mobility
- Proven UX leader with experience developing and bringing to market optimal user experiences (with a strong preference for user experiences in the mobility space), building and leading new teams and departments (including managing financials), aligning with business partners, and executing in an ambiguous, innovative organization.
- Strong service-based leadership skills with experience in leading a department of UX/UI designers, researchers, prototypers, etc. with dedication to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Adept communicator and relationship builder with ability to convey complex concepts clearly, interactively, and persuasively to diverse audiences, including global executives, senior leaders, junior colleagues, users, and affiliate partners globally (experience in APAC a plus)
- Agile and quick problem solver who enjoys a challenge and is discouraged by a new problem, fast-paced environment, or ambiguity
- Humble, no ego, solutions-focused “doer” who enjoys rolling up their sleeves and doing what needs to get done with a lead by doing mentality.
- Experience with UX tools (e.g., Adobe Creative Suite, Figma, Sketch, InVision) and MS suite
- Knowledge of Lean UX principles and ability to thrive in a constantly evolving, fast moving, and lean environment with limited resources
- Analytical skills and ability to translate quantitative and qualitative data into key UX designs, insights, recommendations, strategies, and innovations
- Strong ability to work with confidentiality and inclusivity while setting effective stage-gates to build a world-class, but also high integrity team
You may also be able to contribute:
- Graduate degree in relevant field
- Experience with revolutionizing a mobility user experience
- Experience with air vehicles, aviation, or other mobility products
- Proven and successful record of having delivered a product centric UX from the research stage to design to launch
- Expertise, curiosity, and lifelong learning on mobility and transportation products and experiences
- Experience in highly regulated industry (e.g., aerospace, automotive, healthcare, finance)
Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background check. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Individuals with disabilities may request to be provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at: firstname.lastname@example.org
This position may include access to certain technology and/or software source code, that will be subject to U.S. export control laws. If an export license or other export control authorization is required in connection with your employment, your employment is contingent upon Supernal’s receipt of such license or authorization and approvals and your continued compliance with all conditions and limitations contained in such license or authorization.