You may also be interested in:Learn more about this location Our benefits package
Principal Test and Verification Engineer, Flight Controls, Actuation, and Utility Systems
Supernal is at the forefront of creating emerging mobility solutions that will foster the development of human-centered cities. We are designing a completely new electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft tailored to the mobility needs of future cities. This allows passengers a seamless intermodal journey that safely transports them to their final destination. We fuse research in autonomy, robotics, aviation and services to define a new category of mobility for the world’s communities. We believe in creative thinking and collaboration to help build a better mobility experience for everyone, improving people’s ability to move – whether for work or play.
What we do:
The Principal Test and Verification Engineer will lead all testing and verification activities for the Flight Controls, Actuation, and Utility Systems (FCAUS) team. This position leads the Test and Verification team to provide guidelines through defining FCAUS verification requirement document, which details the procedures and processes while performing FCAUS team’s verification activities and supporting aircraft level verification and tests. The Principal Engineer ensures respective suppliers follow the processes put forth by the team, gathering, and reviewing documentation. This role also includes organization of Safety of Flight testing, failure testing, any inhouse high level and low level testing for software build release, coordination with Systems Engineering on aircraft level testing, and flight test management. The Principal Test and Verification Engineer will help facilitate the Flight Control Systems (FCS) team in their integration testing of all the associated systems. This role will work closely with the leaders of the respective teams within the Flight Controls, Actuation, and Utility Systems on scheduling content and release dates. The engineer compiles all test data and documentation artifacts, and the build release final package.
What you can do:
- Accountable for oversight and planning of all FCAUS testing and verification activities for compliance with Safety of Flight, DO-178C, ARP 4754A, ARP 4761, and other standards
- Support definition of System Integration Lab test equipment and build up of test capabilities to support flight control system test activities
- Organization of FCAUS high-level testing in systems integration lab
- Coordinate with suppliers on low-level software and hardware testing efforts
- Coordinate aircraft level testing pertaining to the systems with the Test and Evaluation team to meet testing and certification verification, and collaborate with certification authorities in topics related with verification
- Oversight and configuration of FCAUS flight testing and participation in the flight test campaign
- Build test plans for both systems integration labs and on-aircraft testing
- Compiling all test and documentation artifacts for software build release packages
- Compile and present test results, controlling dispositions, and open issues
- Control issues using a formal CR process
- Coordinate with the FCAUS team and associated suppliers to be able to make a flightworthy recommendation of the flight controls system based on various metrics like level of testing new changes, regression testing, and outstanding issues
- Evaluate change impact analysis to the various parts of the systems based on issues found or when evaluating change requests
- Other duties as assigned
What you can contribute:
- Bachelor’s degree in aerospace, electrical, or a relevant engineering field
- A minimum of fifteen (15) years of experience in FCS for primary control systems testing and verification (an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered)
- Experience in integration, testing, and verification of FCAUS
- Experience with supplier testing coordination and management
- Experience with requirements verification testing in a system integration lab
- Experience with software build release management
- Bulk of flight controls experience in fly-by-wire manned and/or autonomous aircraft control systems design
- Strong understanding of ARP 4754A and DO-178B/C
- Basic understanding DO-254 and ARP 4761, DO-331?
- Familiarity with aircraft certification FAA 14 CFR Part 23/27/29/25
- Highly collaborative and outstanding communication skills
- Proactive delivery of communication and follow up
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Must have the ability to independently prioritize and accomplish work within time constraints
- Self-motivated and forward-thinking
- Proficiency with Excel VLOOKUP, pivot tables, MS Office Suite
- Familiarity with MathWorks tools
Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background check. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other category or class protected under applicable federal, state or local law. Individuals with disabilities may request a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at: firstname.lastname@example.org
This position will include access to certain technology and/or software source code that will be subject to U.S. export control laws. If an export license or other export control authorization is required in connection with your employment, your employment is contingent upon Supernal’s receipt of such license or authorization and approvals and your continued compliance with all conditions and limitations contained in such license or authorization.
Base pay offered may vary depending on skills, experience, job-related knowledge and location. This position is also eligible for a bonus as part of total compensation.
Click HERE or visit: https://jobs.supernal.aero/benefits to view our benefits!