Sr. Drive System Design EngineerApply Now Job ID 5017040003 Date posted 04/20/2022
Supernal is at the forefront of creating emerging mobility solutions that will foster the development of human-centered cities. We are designing a completely new electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft tailored to the mobility needs of future cities. This allows passengers a seamless intermodal journey that safely transports them to their final destination. We fuse research in autonomy, robotics, aviation and services to define a new category of mobility for the world’s communities. We believe in creative thinking and collaboration to help build a better mobility experience for everyone, improving people’s ability to move – whether for work or play.
What we do:
The Sr. Drive System Design Engineer is responsible for design of gearbox assemblies including gears, bearings, cases, shafts and the associated lubrication and cooling systems. This role reports to the Head of Dynamic Systems and may support related special projects outside this scope to meet company objectives as required. This position will work closely with Stress and Fatigue Analysts and the Tests and Evaluations teams. The Engineer will also provide technical mentorship to other less-experienced members team.
What you can do:
- Build designs, including 3D conceptual layouts of gearboxes associated systems including rough sizing, gear, shaft and bearing arrangements, lube and cooling system architecture and design considerations pertinent to mass production
- Craft technical specifications, design components and assemblies in CATIA V6, build 2D drawings with appropriate GD&T and release those drawings in the Supernal PLM system
- Design components/assemblies from conceptual design phases through buildup and test of the prototype air vehicles
- Support the integration of the drive system into the air vehicle in the areas of gearbox to rotating controls and rotor hub integration, gearbox to airframe design integration and assembly sequence
- Provide guidance to the suppliers of any components which assemble into drive systems
- Coordinate with Assembly and Integration Team to provide prototype parts to support system level testing and engineering builds
- Collaborate with the Test and Evaluation Team to plan, support, and conduct tests as required
- Maintain and update Design Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (DFMEA) reports for the system and components
- Create Purchase Requisitions and other engineering administrative tasks as required to support prototype build and testing
- Participate and take ownership of major analytical and planning assignments
What you can contribute:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- 5+ years’ experience working on helicopter and/or tilt rotor drive systems (an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered)
- Proficient in using a 3D Computer Aided Design System (CATIA V5, SolidWorks, SolidEdge, Auto CAD or equivalent)
- Knowledge of conceptual design including 3D layouts
- Solid understanding of vehicle and related sub-component product development processes
- Familiarity with drive system production processes and tests
- Strong problem solving techniques (ex. Fish bone diagrams, Fault tree analysis, 8D, etc.
- Ability to identify problems, recommend improvements and solutions, and follow through efficiently with contingency plans.
- Experience with developing drive system test plans
- Familiarity with data collection and analysis
- Knowledge of a Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) software such as 3D Experience
- Ability to work well both individually and as a team
- Ability to interface and collaborate with all levels of management, including executive teams
- Strong attention to detail and a forward-thinking personality
You may also be able to contribute:
- MS in Mechanical Engineering degree (equivalent or greater) preferred
- 10+ years drive systems' experience preferred
- Prior background knowledge of electric and hybrid powertrain systems preferred
- Prior knowledge of gearboxes integrated with electric machines preferred
Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background check. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Individuals with disabilities may request to be provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at: email@example.com
This position may include access to certain technology and/or software source code, that will be subject to U.S. export control laws. If an export license or other export control authorization is required in connection with your employment, your employment is contingent upon Supernal’s receipt of such license or authorization and approvals and your continued compliance with all conditions and limitations contained in such license or authorization.