Sr. Flight Control Systems CLAW Engineer
Supernal is at the forefront of creating emerging mobility solutions that will foster the development of human-centered cities. We are designing a completely new electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft tailored to the mobility needs of future cities. This allows passengers a seamless intermodal journey that safely transports them to their final destination. We fuse research in autonomy, robotics, aviation and services to define a new category of mobility for the world’s communities. We believe in creative thinking and collaboration to help build a better mobility experience for everyone, improving people’s ability to move – whether for work or play.
What we do:
The Senior CLAW Engineer will be a member of the Flight Controls team who will actively participate in designing and implementing the algorithms for the aircraft. This role will be heavily involved in the analysis of aircraft stability, defining the control architecture, testing control law implementation and dynamics. The Sr. Engineer will conduct testing both on a desktop simulation as well as in the systems integration lab, and be involved in certification aspects of applying ARP 4754A and DO-178C rules to their control law design. The role will collaborate with engineering teams throughout the business in the design and testing of the control laws.
What you can do:
- Design and implement flight control algorithms for a VTOL aircraft with a novel configuration
- Proficiency in implementing classical and modern control law
- Conduct trade studies between different design considerations and control schemes.
- Define control system architecture, response types, etc. for an aircraft that might change configuration between flight regimes.
- Conduct stability and control related analyses in time and frequency domain.
- Collaborate with the Systems engineering team to define requirements related to the flight control system and system safety.
What you can contribute:
- B.S. in aerospace or relevant engineering field
- A minimum of 5-8 years of experience in flight control algorithm design for rotary-wing and/or fixed-wing Fly-By-Wire aircraft systems (an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered)
- Strong experience in analyzing flight dynamic modes
- Experience with actuator and motor control loops
- Experience with mixing and blending of control surface commands
- Experience with flight testing
- Experience with sensor processing and Kalman filter design
- Experience with requirement definition
- Experience on aircraft with multiple different modes of flight, including vertical lift
- Experience building control laws for remotely-controlled aircraft could be beneficial
- Experience with system identification and optimization tools (CIFER, CONDUIT)
- Experience in math model development of a physical system
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proactive delivery of communication and follow up
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Must have the ability to independently prioritize and accomplish work within time constraints
- Self-motivated and forward-thinking personality
- Familiarity with DO-178B/C, DO-160, DO-254, ARP 4754A, ARP 4761
- Expertise in MathWorks® tools for control algorithm development
- Familiarity with FAA part 23/25/27/29 or other certification experience
- Familiarity with aircraft handling quality requirements
- Familiarity with DO-331
You may also be able to contribute:
- M.S. or PhD preferred
- Experience in C++
Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background check. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Individuals with disabilities may request to be provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at: firstname.lastname@example.org
This position may include access to certain technology and/or software source code, that will be subject to U.S. export control laws. If an export license or other export control authorization is required in connection with your employment, your employment is contingent upon Supernal’s receipt of such license or authorization and approvals and your continued compliance with all conditions and limitations contained in such license or authorization.