Sr. Supplier Development Engineer - Avionics & VMS
Supernal is at the forefront of creating emerging mobility solutions that will foster the development of human-centered cities. We are designing a completely new electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft tailored to the mobility needs of future cities. This allows passengers a seamless intermodal journey that safely transports them to their final destination. We fuse research in autonomy, robotics, aviation and services to define a new category of mobility for the world’s communities. We believe in creative thinking and collaboration to help build a better mobility experience for everyone, improving people’s ability to move – whether for work or play.
What we do:
Working with the Manager of Supplier Development, this role will be responsible for leading supplier quality and development activities from supplier assessment and evaluation to production approval throughout the product life cycle. The ideal candidate will be encouraging supplier partnerships while improving supplier performance to meet Supernal's expectations for quality, delivery, and cost goals.
This position will be required to work on-site 5 days a week.
What you can do:
- Lead supplier evaluation process by assessing supplier’s manufacturing technology, process capability, quality management system and HSE risk
- Participate in Long Term Supplier Agreements to provide technical support, supplier knowledge, negotiation input and alignment of business awards to support procurement strategies
- Drive supplier advanced product quality planning process (APQP) to meet quality and timing expectation for production part approval (PPAP)
- Function as technical liaison between suppliers and internal technology development team to ensure design and process requirements are correctly interpreted and properly driven in supplier’s manufacturing processes
- Strong Technical project management skills, facilitate design for manufacturing communication between design engineering and supplier to improve producibility of the product design
- Review supplier manufacturing processes, collaborate with suppliers on process improvement and value enhancement opportunities (VA/VE)
- Promote use of process focused continuous improvement tools such as Lean, Six Sigma, Mistake proofing(Poka-Yoke) , Measurement system analysis (MSA) and Failure mode and effect analysis (FMEA)
- Perform supplier production readiness review audit to ensure supplier’s manufacturing process is capable of meeting quality and capacity for volume production
- Evaluates and monitors overall supplier performance metrics trends vs. contracted scope including supplier quality, reliability, and schedule. Identify gaps, root cause and drive supplier corrective actions for improvements
- Support organizational change process on build to print projects
- Identify/assess Risks & Opportunities throughout the duration of the program
- Ability to find effective solutions; a “make it happen” demeanor is a must
- May require up to 50% of domestic and international travel
What you can contribute:
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience in engineering or related field and 5 years or more of directly related work experience preferably in aerospace, automotive or both industries
- Strong program/project management experience, ideally with PMP certification
- Experience with QMS systems (ISO9001/AS9100/IATF16949/NADCAP)
- Disciplined approach to problem solving (8D, A3, 3x5 Whys and Red X)
- Proven expertise in quality core tools (APQP, PPAP, MSA, Control Plan, FMEA and SPC)
- Manufacturing Process Experience: PCBA assembly, Electronic assembly, Wiring harness, Electro-mechanical Assembly, Casting, CNC Machining, Plastic injection molding and System level assembly
- Commodity Experience (good to have): Wiring harness, Electronics assembly, Low Voltage control units, Avionics, Actuation system, Micro-electronics, Sensors, Cameras, and software management
- Experience with GT&T and Tolerance analysis
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills both internally & externally and ability to understand sophisticated technical applications
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Creative problem-solving abilities in ambiguous environment
- Strong Data analytical skills, familiar with Statistical tools and software (Minitab, JMP, R, etc)
- Proficient with MS Offices suites, PLM, Jira, Confluence. Etc.
- Experience with 3D CAD
- Must have the ability to independently prioritize and accomplish work within time constraints
- Self-motivated and growth-oriented personality
- Ability to lead and successfully prioritize multiple workstreams simultaneously
- Good understanding of supply chain networks, linkage, and flow
- Able to travel 50% or more on a short notice
You may also be able to contribute:
- Experience with MRP or ERP system, SAP experience is a plus
- Organizational change experience
- Experience in new product development is a plus
- Experience in a start-up environment is a plus
- Professional Certification: CQE, CSSGB, CSSBB and PMP is a plus
Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background check. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other category or class protected under applicable federal, state or local law. Individuals with disabilities may request a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at: firstname.lastname@example.org
This position may include access to certain technology and/or software source code subject to U.S. export controls laws and regulations. If an export authorization from an applicable US regulatory agency is required in connection with your employment, your employment is contingent upon Supernal’s receipt of such regulatory authorization(s) and your continued compliance with all conditions and limitations pursuant to such authorization(s).
Base pay offered may vary depending on skills, experience, job-related knowledge and location. This position is also eligible for a bonus as part of total compensation.