You may also be interested in:Learn more about this location Our benefits package
Lead Platform Data Engineer
Washington, DC, Fremont, California, Irvine, California
Supernal is at the forefront of creating emerging mobility solutions that will foster the development of human-centered cities. We are designing a completely new electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft tailored to the mobility needs of future cities. This allows passengers a seamless intermodal journey that safely transports them to their final destination. We fuse research in autonomy, robotics, aviation and services to define a new category of mobility for the world’s communities. We believe in creative thinking and collaboration to help build a better mobility experience for everyone, improving people’s ability to move – whether for work or play.
What we do:
Data is the backbone of Supernal from developing our autonomous air vehicles to building the global ecosystem for advanced air mobility to building, scaling, and running an efficient, effective, and data driven business. The new Data team architects and manages UAM’s internal data infrastructure, partners with users across the company to enable data driven solutions and runs strategic projects to stay at the forefront of data and analytical capabilities. We are a team of data engineers, data architects, data scientists, data analysts, data you-name-it, and we’re building out a ground breaking data platform and capability for this new business comprised of modern leading technologies to enable the next generation of mobility solutions.
As a Platform Engineer, you are part cloud engineer, part database administrator with a strong focus on security and governance. You will be responsible for overseeing the heart of our data tech stack that delivers exciting and innovative internal data products. We want you to help us forge a new mobility eco-system and design the next generation of eVTOL aircraft. You will work within the digital operations group and partner with Engineering, Operations, R&D, Strategy, Manufacturing, Supply Chain, and our leadership team. You will be a leading voice in our data strategy and its delivery.
What you can do:
Own and manage secure and governed database administration
- Partner with IT and Legal to design secure and automated processes and implement practices that enable data democracy and agility
- Partner closely with critical team members (e.g., test and evaluation, systems engineering, simulations engineers, and more) to ensure safe and secure usage and transmission of our most critical data
- Run, guide, and implement database administration responsibilities and continuously automate relevant processes
Help build, manage, and scale our data platform capabilities
- Help design and build the data integrations for robust pipelines and serving business intelligence, analytics, and engineering needs
- Work with data owners to design and implement role based, row level, and dynamic access control
- Lead processes that ensure site reliability for our data stack.
- Lead and guide standard processes around data governance, security, and quality
- Architect scalable data solutions for Business, Engineering, and R&D with Data colleagues
- Work closely with data engineers, scientists, and analysts across the business
Actively enable a data driven and innovative culture across the organization
- Communicate insights, plans, architecture, and technology decisions clearly and effectively to team members around the company
- Design, prototype, and implement solutions for Engineering groups
- Mentor and guide more junior team members
What you can contribute:
- B.S. in relevant field such as computer science or information science
- 15+ years of relevant work experience (an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent knowledge of software engineering fundamentals
- Strong SQL skills
- Strong programming skills with Python, Java, or Scala
- Demonstrated experience in working with:
- Data storage solutions in an administrative capacity
- SCM solutions (Bitbucket/Github/Gitlab)
- Data technologies (e.g., Snowflake, Databricks, Palantir)
- Small, agile teams with rapid growth
- Deep understanding of data management, administration, security, and access control processes and implementation
- Experience and desire to set up data capabilities and platforms as well as managing them
- Familiarity with Docker and K8s
- Self-organizing and self-starting
- Continuous learner, independent worker, and strong decision maker (with minimal supervision)
- Collaborative teammate with dedication to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Experience in industry working with highly regulated data, i.e., aerospace, automotive, healthcare, finance
You may also be able to contribute:
- Graduate degree in relevant field
- Experience with Cloud-based services (AWS/Azure)
- Experience working with export-controlled data
- Experience with serving business intelligence feeds
- Experience with Azure, Snowflake, and Databricks administration and Data Lakes
- Understanding of CI/CD practices
Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background check. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Individuals with disabilities may request to be provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at: firstname.lastname@example.org
This position may include access to certain technology and/or software source code, that will be subject to U.S. export control laws. If an export license or other export control authorization is required in connection with your employment, your employment is contingent upon Supernal’s receipt of such license or authorization and approvals and your continued compliance with all conditions and limitations contained in such license or authorization.
Base pay offered may vary depending on skills, experience, job-related knowledge and location. This position is also eligible for a bonus as part of total compensation.
Click HERE or visit: https://jobs.supernal.aero/benefits to view our benefits!